comrad

Work around for windows 10 controller not recognized

** Updated method **

Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and select TASK MANAGER then click on the DETAILS tab and click the heading column to sort backwards so the W's are at the top. Right Click  on WINSTOREAPP.EXE and select END TASK.

** Old method Below **

So you see the controllers grayed out in CH Control manager software and they do not work properly.

Below is the work around for this problem in the new Windows 10 creators updates. 

First, you need to prevent your computer from saving information to boot faster upon shutdown (you need to turn off fast startup in windows) so that it treats the controllers the same whether you cold boot or restart.

1. Click the start button and type "CONTROL PANEL", then choose Hardware and Sound then Power options. On the left side click "Choose what the power Buttons do". Now click "Change settings that are currently unavailable". Lastly UNcheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

2. Now when you boot from cold boot or a restart it will treat the controller the same way. 

3. Boot/reboot the computer. When it comes up DO NOT DO anything related to games or control manager loading scripts. You must open Control Center, or Control manager and wait for about 2-3 minutes until you hear the last chirp of the USB being recognized. Once that last chirp happens you can then load scripts or change whatever. If you do not wait for the last chirp (2-3 minutes) and you try to manage your controllers then you must reboot and start over.

4. Instead of manually opening control center upon startup. You can add the CMStart.exe (CH startup program for the 5 sec delay) shortcut to your SHELL:STARTUP folder.

* CMSTART *

To add CMStart to your SHELL:STARTUP Folder

1.  in the Address bar of Windows Explorer type or paste C:\Program Files (x86)\CH Products

2. in windows explorer top left choose FILE Open New Window. In the Address bar of that window type or paste SHELL:STARTUP

3. once you have both windows up RIGHT click and drag the CMSTART application to the SHELL:STARTUP folder and let go. When the options come up, select "create shortcuts here".

4. now every time you boot, the controller will begin the process of the 2 min wait

Another thing, if you have STEAM. Under STEAM - SETTINGS - CONTROLLER - GENERAL CONTROLLER SETTINGS uncheck the "Guide Button Focuses Steam" checkbox to prevent steam from turning your Controller Gray again sometimes when Loading scripts. I am not 100% sure this was a problem, but after I unchecked it, i have not had the problem again.

nice, thx a lot!!

Edit: its not working for 100%, ch manager keeps crashing with greyed buttons after a while, if you edit your map and save/download a lot. running teamspeak 3 seems to crash the ch manager too.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:14 PM, Yil said:

nice, thx a lot!!

Edit: its not working for 100%, ch manager keeps crashing with greyed buttons after a while, if you edit your map and save/download a lot. running teamspeak 3 seems to crash the ch manager too.

Well, it was working for a while.  Started acting up again too.  Off and on.

In TeamSpeak you can Disable Gamepad and Joystick Hotkey Support from TOOLS - OPTIONS - ADDONS and Disable the "Gamepad and Joystick Hotkey Support". Although I have not had the problem since I unchecked the "Guidbutton Focuses Steam"  from the post above.

Hello, I'm a new user, signed in just so I could discuss the Windows 10 issue.

The workaround described in this thread doesn't work for me reliably. When I (re)start Windows, Control Manager detects my Fighterstick, Pedals and Throttle (all connected to a powered USB hub). It allows me to load a profile, calibrate my stuff and download the profile. Then everything works fine in-game, BUT if I ever have to set my gear to Direct mode, I get the grey buttons and Control Manager crashes if I try to calibrate. After this the only way to get the Control Manager working again is to reboot the whole computer. Unfortunately the steps described in this thread didn't seem to make any difference in my situation.

I can still play Elite: Dangerous but I fear it's only a matter of time until a new Windows 10 update etc. makes my CH gear unusable. I actually ordered a brand new Fighterstick and Throttle (had some issues with my old ones; used a Warthog for a while but I guess I prefer CH stuff) just before I found out about this current Windows 10 situation. Never had any similar problems on Windows 8.1. (or on an earlier version of Windows 10).

Have CH Products commented in any way regarding the Windows 10 issue? Have they just abandoned all active development; after all, the CH drivers are from ca. 2006 and I believe the latest version of Control Manager is from that time period as well.

I wish Microshaft would just leave my settings alone!  After the last "update" Control Manager was back to graying out after I would D/L a map.  I knew that I'd followed the steps above to a T and it was working fine.  Tonight I checked again, and lo-n-behold Microshaft had decided my settings weren't what they thought they should be.  I followed the instructions listed above, again, and, once again Control Manager is working as it should.  Thanks, again!

For me, this isn't working at all. To be honest, I'm getting pretty fed up with CH's silence on this issue. It really would appear that they don't really give a rat's patoot anymore, where their support used to be the best in the business. I am thoroughly disgusted.

Quit working for me again, too.  I ended up uninstalling Control Manager, got rid of any and all Control Manager folders...  I then used Puran Utilities and defragged all my drives.  I then unplugged all my CH Products.  I disabled my anti-virus.  I then, re-installed Control Manager.  I plugged in my devices.  All were recognized.  I then built a .map, saved the .map, downloaded the .map.  So far, so good.  Fingers crossed...

I followed the instructions comrad posted, and yet the CM is really hit and miss for me.  Greys-out buttons intermittently, which makes it hard to diagnose.  Usually a reboot gets things working again, but not today.  I dunno what to do, and I use my joystick for all my games... ALL of them.  >:(

I've now deleted all of the CH manager stuff and am just using the plug in and play functionality. It works ok, but the mode buttons (that change the LEDs) are recognised a 3 different buttons for each light by windows (so for the stick I have to bind the same button to the same command 3 times). 
I am now using Antimicro to setup modifier buttons, there are also programs such as Xpadder as well. If you dont need loads of scripts they work very well. 

I think I may have jinxed myself.  UGH.  I downloaded one profile and flew it for quite some time.  Went to fly another profile and *poof* the grayed out controller issue popped up, again.  For me, this has been quite frustrating.  I also use the CH Products DT225 (track ball).  Not in my .maps but, as a pointing device a.k.a. mouse.  When CM devices grey out in CM, my DT225 quits as well.  I have to do a hard system re-boot to clear the mess.

A complete system reset involves going back to factory settings (day one).

I am in the same boat. After following all the advice here I can load any profile immediately after the PC boots. If I then go back to load another profile .. the disconnect occurs. Nothing other than a reboot gets me back to being able to load a profile. Now I wonder if this is only with profiles that call a CMS script ? Need to play around.

Seriously thinking of trying Antimicro or Gremlin/Vjoy .... if that doesn't work then I think its time for CH stuff to go in the bin ... sadly they have been running perfectly for over 10 years.

May have had some small progress. Having tried everything suggested here (and still set up that way) I  had a go at trying to run CH Manager in compatibility modes. In Windows 8 compatibility mode I get much more "stable" performance. So far I have been able to select,edit and download any map/profile and CH manager is hanging in there. System has been up for 2 hours since reboot and all is working. ..... Lets see for how long, will report back.

Are you using TeamSpeak or Steam? I have found that the plugin that comes with TeamSpeak (Gamepad and Joystick Hotkey Support) must be uninstalled not just disabled. And the Steam Settings - Controller "Guide Button Focuses Steam" unchecked.

Also I have found that after some windows updates the Power settings revert back to "Turn on fast startup " on and must be disabled again.

Also, I am on the "Skip Ahead" ring for windows updates and it still has the problem in the latest beta windows version 17074 (the current standard build is 16299)

I see in another post CH is aware of this problem. Hope it gets fixed soon!

23 hours ago, Ivank said:

May have had some small progress. Having tried everything suggested here (and still set up that way) I  had a go at trying to run CH Manager in compatibility modes. In Windows 8 compatibility mode I get much more "stable" performance. So far I have been able to select,edit and download any map/profile and CH manager is hanging in there. System has been up for 2 hours since reboot and all is working. ..... Lets see for how long, will report back.

Just did the same only in Win7.  Annnnnnnd, so far, so good!  I've loaded and unloaded a dozen or so profiles without any grayed out indicators.